Live DemoNote:

Complementary style has NO size limitations!

Plainly put I am what others may consider a tall, shapely, southern girl with big feet!!! =) Attempting to find my place in the world by turning what I once considered an insecurity into an asset! I must say that this evolving thing has been quite the experience. I have always been the “larger one” in the group and luckily for me I can’t recall many times when I was taunted by the “MEAN KIDS” about it.  I’m sure things were said but maybe I just didn’t hear them. Not that I needed anyone to point out the obvious though…. I can remember standing in front of the mirror at the age of ten wondering why my hips poked out in a way that other girls’ hips my age didn’t, EVEN thinking of ideas that I could make them “Stay in”!!!

I think the period of acceptance began when I was in the ninth grade and the term “THICK” was often being used by the boys to describe me.  THICK….sounds a whole lot better than big-boned, big gul (girl just depends on where you are in the country), corn bread fed (o_0), husky, hefty, big sexy (my all time favorite) and FAT!  The clothing industry seemed to realize that there was a greater need for plus sizes and I discovered stores such as Lane Bryant, Ashley Stewart, Old Navy, Simply Fashion etc. Yep! High school was when I coined the term “This looks good on me!” On the down side I often got the non compliment from others….” You dress really nice to be your size” THIS still urks me!!! Why can’t I just dress nice???? But I digress. High school was when I discovered FASHION!!

Oh how I wish it was that simple! I wonder why after looking back the picture is always clearer. Hmmp… may never know the answer to that one, but I can say that I searched high and low looking for something that I LOVED doing, my passion, my happy sort to speak. Not realizing that your passion is usually what comes natural to you. I thought that everyone had night visions of outfits that would go together, and hair styles that would go with those outfits. I thought everyone passed by a dress in the store and said “That would look good on such and such…” It wasn’t until my sister absolutely refused to shop for herself (so that I could shop for her) , my friends constantly called  to see if I can come up with any ideas of what they should wear, when I couldn’t go out in public without  someone stopping me to ask “Where did you get that from?” or until co-workers were waiting @ my desk looking forward to see what I would be wearing on that day, did I began to see that Fashion excites me!!! (Giddy)

By no way am I claiming to be the “fashionista” or the expert, in fact I try to stray away from those labels. What I do know is what I have is not forced but a natural flow of ideas that mesh well. Fashion isn’t about WHAT you wear, but HOW to wear what WORKS for you! AND that Complementary style has no size limitations!

By. E Louise….

15 comments

Ejones said...

Love it E, keep it coming!!

E. Louise said...

Thanks U!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds GREAT! Style comes natural to some (such as yourself) while others tend to struggle to find their style and what works for their SHAPE. A little coaching and trendy hints go a long way! THANKS!

Mieka said...

I had that mirror moment too only mine had nothing to do with hips (seeing as how I don't have any :( lol. I always like to here stories about when women realize that they are simply more. Too many of us are walking around with no confidence. I love your style and the confidence that your outfits show. Next time I'm shopping I'm going to remember that 'Complementary style has no size limitations' and to purchase what works for me and than Work It! Nice Blog.

Unknown said...

This almost brought a tear to my eye!!! I loved every word because I was that girl. U are a fashionista and ur confidence is contagious so thank u for rubbing off on me... Can't hate on impeccable style!! U my dear are a star and a role model...own it!! I look forward to reading this blog. God Bless :-)

Imade said...

This is great Ericka! You are truly one great gift made up of many gifts that makes you so wonderful. I enjoy reaping the benefits and celebrating with you as you continue to discover what God wrote into your DNA before the foundations of the World!!! I am thankful that you encourage and remind us all that great fashion has no size limitations. As far as your "Visions in the night thinking about what works together chlothes-wise and hair wise...yeah no I don't do that at all!!! LOL Love you thanks for sharing!

E. Louise said...

Wow Wow Wow! I really didnt think that my words, my life, my song would have an impact! I apprecaite yall for helping me to find my voice! Thank you so much for the support! It really is motivation!

Linda Duncan said...

I am so loving this blog E and so so proud of you stepping out. Keep it coming chick!

Anonymous said...

Love this E! Can't wait to read more.

BeeFranklin said...

That's my sister!!!! So proud of you!!!

Tee Sally said...

I love this Ms E!

Anonymous said...

You go Girl!!! With GOD BLESS!!! MAMA

Dr. L. Boogie! said...

Very intriguing Ms. E. Louise!! I can't wait to read more & i wish you nothing but the best on your future endeavors!!

E. Louise said...

Thank u L-boogie!

Unknown said...

Ur doing a great job, keep up the good work!